The 10 steps to study in Canada for international students in 2023
We will present in this article, the 10 steps to follow to study in Canada for foreign and international students .
Indeed, studying in Canada has several advantages.
That’s why more and more students from all over the world are discovering the benefits of going to university in Canada.
In addition, the attractions are numerous.
Top-notch education, diverse study opportunities, and safe, friendly communities.
Nearly 250,000 foreign students from more than 200 countries choose Canadian universities for their university studies.
Indeed, Canadian universities are recognized for their high quality and the excellence of their academic standards.
They always rank among the best internationally.
In addition, Canadian universities offer more than 15,000 undergraduate and graduate programs, in addition to professional and certificate programs, in a wide range of disciplines.
At the same time, having a Canadian university degree could make it easier for foreign students to obtain permanent residence in the country.
Thus, to study in Canada , there is a procedure to follow and steps to follow.
This is why in this article, we will give you the 10 steps to follow to go and do your higher education in Canada .
So, discover these steps and go do your university studies in Canada !
The 10 steps to study in Canada for international students in 2023
To go to study in Canada, you must have an idea of the procedures to follow and the points to respect.
Indeed, in order to facilitate the study procedure in Canada, we have tried to group together 10 steps that we consider essential to follow.
Here is the study in Canada process in 10 steps:
- Choose the Canadian university you want.
- Choose the faculty where you wish to study.
- Contact the university or faculty.
- Check the Canadian university’s admission requirements .
- Apply to Canadian universities .
- Pass the entrance examination if necessary.
- Respect the registration dates for Canadian universities .
- Finalize your application to Canadian universities .
- Pay the cost of university studies in Canada .
- Apply for a study visa in Canada.
So, discover more details on these points!
1. Choose the Canadian university you want
Before leaving to study in Canada, you should know that Canada has nearly a hundred public universities.
The notion of private universities in Canada is not as developed as many other countries.
Indeed, Canada has chosen to focus its efforts on the development of these public universities.
Moreover, several universities in Canada are included in the ranking of the best universities in the world.
This is certainly no coincidence.
The quality of teaching at Canadian universities leaves students wanting to pursue their university education in Canada.
So, to make it easier for you to find Canadian universities, please consult the following articles:
- The list of universities in Canada
- The list of French-speaking Canadian universities
- List of universities in Quebec
- Top Universities in Canada
2. Choose the faculty where you want to study
Choosing the Canadian faculty is considered to be the 2ᵉ step to follow.
Indeed, to choose the “right faculty” you must first have an idea of the study specialties you intend to study.
Depending on the major of study, you can find dozens of faculties across Canada that meet your search criteria.
Thus, here are some faculties in the most demanded specialties in Canada, namely:
- Best Medical Universities in Canada
- Best Law Universities in Canada
- The best Computer Science Universities in Canada
- The Best Psychology Universities in Canada
Thus, depending on the specialty of study, you can find dozens of Canadian faculties!
3. Contact the university or faculty
After choosing the university or faculty, you must contact the organizations of your choice.
Indeed, you must contact them to get an idea of the availability of the specialty you have chosen.
Check the conditions and prerequisites to register.
Ask for the costs and fees of the studies that you must pay to register.
And, any other information that you consider useful to request!
4. Check the university’s admission requirements
In Canada, each university has its own admission criteria and evaluates applicants one by one.
You may also need to provide various official documents.
Like transcripts from secondary or post-secondary institutions.
In addition, foreign students wishing to study in Canada must prove that they are fluent in English or French, depending on the university they wish to attend.
In addition, admission procedures to universities in Canada vary from province to province.
5. Apply for pre-registration or admission
Indeed, you must follow the following steps:
- First, create your account on the university website.
- Afterwards, you must follow the guidelines given by the university.
- Then, you must fill in all the fields requested when you apply for admission.
- Afterwards, you must carefully read the forms.
- Then, you must submit your application for registration in the Canadian university in question.
- Finally, you must pay the file processing fee.
You should note that the processing times for the file can take from 4 to 6 weeks.
6. Take tests and/or entrance exams if necessary
Some disciplines and study specialties require passing a test with the Canadian university or a competition to enter.
For example, medical, dental, pharmaceutical studies or preparatory schools require passing a competitive examination to enter.
If you have chosen to study in one of these specialties, then this procedure concerns you.
7. Respect the registration dates.
Canada is one of the few countries that offers several admission sessions per academic year.
Indeed, Canadian universities have several academic re-entries per year.
Moreover its returns are named in the name of the season of the year.
Thus, you have 3 university start dates, namely:
- First, the winter session in which classes begin in January of each year.
- Then, the summer session in which classes start in May each year.
- And, finally, the fall session in which classes begin in September of each year.
Thus, you can note that each course session has its own university registration dates .
Please note, however, that some universities allow international students to submit applications throughout the year.
8. Finalize your registration file
Generally, each university and each faculty has its own university registration file documents .
Indeed, depending on the university, the faculty and the specialty of study, the university registration file documents may differ.
Here are the main documents of a registration file for a Canadian university that you must prepare:
- A registration form retrieved from the relevant faculty website.
- A copy of the bachelor’s, bachelor’s or master’s degree and transcripts.
- A favorable response to the pre-registration request.
- Proof of your proficiency in French and/or English.
- Copy of your passport
- ID photo
- A well-detailed CV
- A cover letter
- Proof of payment of registration fees or proof of obtaining a scholarship in Canada
9. Pay the cost of university studies in Canada.
Compared to many other countries, the cost of studying in Canada are quite affordable.
Tuition fees in Canada for international students vary by province and program of study.
In accordance with Citizenship and Immigration Canada regulations, you must prove that you have sufficient funds to support yourself while studying in Canada before starting your study program.
From the first stages of the process, it is important that you take stock of your financial situation and examine the possibility of obtaining a scholarship in Canada which will help finance your studies.
Indeed, here is an indication of the prices of public universities in Canada by cycle of study:
- Tuition fees vary between CAD 1,800 and CAD 20,000 per year at the undergraduate level.
- Tuition fees vary between CAD 2,500 per year and CAD 18,000 per year for a master’s degree.
- A PhD can cost between CAD 2,500 and CAD 17,000 per year.
10. Apply for a study visa in Canada
To stay as an international student in Canada, you need a study visa.
Indeed, this visa allows you to stay and study in Canada.
To obtain a study visa for Canada, you must contact the Canadian Embassy in your country for more information on the formalities and the necessary documents.
Thus, to conclude our article on studying in Canada, we have presented for you 10 steps to follow to study in Canada for international students.
Indeed, we have tried to clarify the most important points to know before leaving to study in Canada.
All the points mentioned in this article are very essential to know.
You can think of these steps as a checklist to follow to move forward in your admissions and study process in Canadian universities.
We always advise you to contact the Canadian universities of your choice for more information on registration and admissions procedures.
So don’t hesitate to follow these steps, and ask the questions that come to mind to the universities of your choice, and good luck with your further studies.