The 8 steps of admission to Italian universities in 2023
In this article, we are going to present to you the 8 steps to follow to proceed to admission to Italian universities as a European, African, Canadian, American foreign student.
To study in Italy, you must first obtain admission to one of the Italian universities and then finalize your registration.
Indeed, you must consider that admissions to universities in Italy require several steps and conditions.
Moreover, there are general rules and overall registration deadlines to be respected.
However, you must note that each Italian university has specificities and conditions for obtaining university admission (a letter of acceptance) and making a registration.
Through the following, we will directly and indirectly answer the following questions:
- How to apply for admission to an Italian university?
- How to get (or get) admission to an Italian university?
- What are the admission requirements for an Italian university?
On the other hand, you should know that there are generally several admissions sessions in universities in Italy throughout the year, from November N-1 until the start of the academic year N.
We invite you to discover the calendar of admissions and registrations in general in universities in Italy.
The first case, the calendar of admissions and registrations to universities in Italy for an ordinary session:
- Start of pre-admissions: September or November.
- End of pre-admissions: December or January.
- Admissions result: March or April.
- Validation of admission: April and May.
- Start of registration formalities: June or July.
- End of registration formalities: the end of August.
In other cases, successive sessions:
- Start of pre-admissions: January 1.
- End of pre-admissions: after 15 working days.
- Date of tests: after 15 working days after the end of admissions.
- Admissions result: after 15 working days after the test date.
- Validation of admission: after 15 working days after the results.
- Beginning of registration formalities: upon validation of admission.
- End of registration formalities: until the start of the academic year.
NB: Almost every university has different deadlines.
Therefore, you will find in this article the 8 steps to follow to be able to obtain admission to a university in Italy (public or private).
The 8 steps of admission to Italian universities in
Before you start, it is important to know that all universities in Italy easily accept foreign students.
At the same time, admissions to universities in Italy require you to follow a well-defined process that we have divided into several stages.
Here are the 8 steps to follow:
- Choose the Italian university.
- Choose your study program or specialty.
- Send an application for admission to the Italian university.
- Apply for admission.
- Take selection tests.
- Send the documents requested by the university.
- Obtain admission and enroll in an Italian university.
- Apply for a study permit/study Visa in Italy.
NB: there are almost no differences between the formalities of university registrations in Italy.
Please find more details on each of these admissions steps later in this article.
1. Choose the Italian university
The first step to applying for and obtaining admission to one of the universities in Italy is simply to choose the university in which you want to do your higher education.
Here are the articles that may interest you in choosing a university in Italy:
2. Choose your study program or specialty
Each university in Italy has several tens or hundreds of specialties.
You must choose the specialty that suits you.
Thus, you can visit the official website of the Italian university of your choice and find the specialty and faculty that suits you.
3. Send an application for admission to the Italian university
After choosing your university in Italy and your specialty and study program, it is now time to apply for admission to universities in Italy.
Applications for admission to Italian universities are sent in the same way to all public or private universities.
Indeed, depending on the Italian university, pre-admission requests are sent through the university’s specialized online platform.
Given the specificity of Italian universities, applications for admission are generally sent throughout the year to enroll in continuous sessions.
For ordinary sessions in some universities, it is preferable to send applications for admission from November and January.
4. Apply for admission.
Irrespective of the platform of the Italian university, you must follow the following steps
- Create your account.
- You must read and complete the forms carefully.
- You must complete all the fields requested when applying for admission.
- Send your application for admission or request for pre-registration or admission.
- Justify your level of study.
- Pay the initial registration application fee.
- Send the documents requested by the Italian university.
You should note that the calendar and deadlines for admissions and registrations vary a bit from one Italian university to another.
5. Pass selection tests and interviews.
All foreign students can go through the testing stage with Italian universities.
- Language level tests.
- Skill level tests.
- The SAT or ACT tests.
- The Gmac or Gre tests.
- And personality tests.
In addition, you will possibly have video conference or live interviews with the administration of the Italian university.
You must pass this step, a positive notification will be the subject of a letter of acceptance by the Italian university.
Of course, all procedures have online through the platform.
6. Send the documents requested by the Italian university.
To validate your request for pre-registration or pre-admission to the Italian university of your choice, it will ask you for a list of documents to complete your file.
- A CV and a cover letter.
- Your diplomas and transcripts.
- Your passport.
- Your picture.
- A certificate of English language level.
- Letters of recommendation (optional).
- Payment of university tuition fees in Italy.
7. Obtain admission to an Italian university.
Here we are.
- You have selected Italian universities.
- You have sent your applications to Italian universities.
- And, you were initially selected among the student candidates.
- In addition, you have successfully passed your interview with the Italian university.
Hence, you will get admission into the Italian university. (A letter of acceptance from the university).
Remember, to finalize your admission to the Italian university, you must validate your admission, start the registrations and pay the cost or fees of the Italian university studies.
So, you can see Italian Public Universities Tuition Fees and Italian Private Universities Tuition Fees.
After the payment of tuition fees, it can be said that you have passed all the admission requirements for the Italian university.
You can also explore the opportunities to study for free in Italy with a scholarship.
8. Apply for a study permit/study Visa.
Applying for a study permit or study Visa for Italy differs depending on your nationality and country.
Thus, you must contact the Italian Embassy in your country for more information and the required documents.
This procedure can take up to between 2 and 4 months.
Finally, after obtaining your study permit or study Visa, you must finalize your registration according to the procedures in force at your Italian university.
The procedure for obtaining the study visa can start from step 6.
We have seen together the steps to follow to apply for and have admission to one of the Italian public or private universities for foreign students.
In conclusion, the date for sending applications for admission to Italian universities varies from one university to another.
However, you should start as soon as possible from November or January each year.
At the same time, you must always respect the calendars and dates of university registrations in Italy.
Finally, we always advise you to contact the Italian university of your choice directly for more information.