The 8 steps of admission to German universities in 2023
In this article, we are going to present to you the 8 steps to follow to proceed to admission to German universities as a foreign student.
To study in Germany, you must first obtain admission to one of the German universities.
Indeed, you must consider that admissions to universities in Germany require several steps and conditions.
Moreover, there are general rules and overall registration deadlines to be respected.
However, you should note that each German university has specifics and requirements for registering and obtaining university admission (a letter of acceptance).
Through the following, we will directly and indirectly answer the following questions:
- How do I apply for admission to a German university?
- How do I get (or get) admission to a German university?
- What are the admission requirements for a German university?
Therefore, you will find in this article the 8 steps to follow to be admitted to a German university (public or private).
The 8 steps of admission to German universities in 2023
Before you start, it is important to know that German universities easily accept foreign students.
On the other hand, admissions to universities in Germany require following a well-defined process, which we have divided into several stages.
Here are the 8 steps to follow:
- Choose the German university.
- Choose your study program or specialty.
- How to send an application for admission to the German university.
- Apply for admission.
- Take selection tests.
- Send the documents requested by the university.
- Gain admission to a German university.
- Apply for a study permit/study Visa in Germany.
NB: there are almost no differences between the formalities of registrations at universities in Germany.
- Enrollment in a public university in Germany.
- Enrollment in a private university in Germany.
Please find more details on each of these admissions steps later in this article.
1. Choose the German university
The first step to applying for and obtaining admission to one of the universities in Germany is simply to choose the university in which you want to do your higher education in Germany.
Here are the articles that may interest you in choosing a university in Germany:
2. Choose your study program or specialty
Each university in Germany has several dozen or hundreds of specialties.
Here are some of the majors in universities in Germany:
- Law and legal sciences.
- Business, Management and MBA.
- Physical sciences and humanities.
- Computer science.
- Engineering studies.
- All specialties are available.
So, you can visit the official website of the university of your choice and find the right faculty for you.
3. How to send an application for admission to the German university.
After choosing your university in Germany and your major and study program, it is now time to apply for admission to universities in Germany.
For public universities and private universities, you must submit an application for admission to a university in Germany via the German University Admissions Platform.
NB: You must create an account with each platform.
4. Apply for admission on the German university’s website.
You must follow the following steps, the website or platform of the public or private university in Germany:
- Create your account.
- You must read and complete the forms carefully.
- You must complete all the fields requested when applying for admission.
- Send your admission request or pre-registration request.
- Justify your level of study.
- Pay the initial registration application fee (rarely).
- Send the documents requested by the German university.
You should note that the calendar and deadlines for registration vary from one German university to another.
5. Take selection tests
All foreign students can go through the test stage with German universities.
Indeed, you will eventually have video conference or live interviews with the administration of the German university.
You must pass this step, a positive notification will be the subject of a letter of acceptance by the German university.
NB: Other level and/or skills tests may be carried out or requested by the German university.
6. Send the documents requested by the German university.
To validate your request for pre-registration or pre-admission to the German university of your choice, it will ask you for a list of documents to complete your file.
- A CV and a cover letter.
- Your diplomas and transcripts.
- A certificate of English language level (optional).
- Payment of university tuition fees in Germany.
7. Obtain admission to a German university.
Here we are.
- You have selected German universities.
- You have sent your applications to German universities.
- And, you were initially selected among the student candidates.
- In addition, you have successfully passed your interview with the German university.
Therefore, you are going to get admission to the German university. (a letter of acceptance from the university).
Remember, to finalize your admission into the German university, you must pay the cost of German university studies.
So, you can see German public university tuition fees and German private university tuition fees.
After paying tuition fees, it can be said that you have passed all admission requirements to the German university.
8. Apply for a study permit/study Visa.
Applying for a study permit or study Visa for Germany differs depending on your nationality.
Thus, you should contact the German Embassy in your country for more information and the required documents.
This process can take up to 4 months.
Finally, after obtaining your study permit or study Visa, you must finalize your registration according to the procedures in force at your German university.
We have seen together the steps to follow to apply for and have admission to one of the German public or private universities for foreign students.
In conclusion, applications for admission to German universities should be submitted at least 2 to 4 months before the start of classes.
On the other hand, you must always observe the calendars and dates for university registrations in Germany.
Finally, we always advise you to contact the German university of your choice directly for more information.