The 8 steps of admission to Belgian universities
In this article, we are going to present to you the 8 steps to follow to proceed to admission to Belgian universities as a European or foreign student.
To study in Belgian, you must first obtain admission to one of the Belgian universities.
Indeed, you must consider that admissions to universities in Belgium require several steps and conditions.
Moreover, there are general rules and overall deadlines for registration to be respected in Belgium.
However, you should note that each Belgian university has specificities and conditions for registering and obtaining university admission.
Through the following, we will directly and indirectly answer the following questions:
- How to apply for admission to a Belgian university?
- How to obtain (or have) an admission in a Belgian university?
- What are the admission requirements to a Belgian public university?
As a result, you will find in this article the 8 steps to follow to be able to obtain admission to a Belgian university ( public or private ).
The 8 steps of admission to Belgian universities
Before you start, it is important to know that Belgian universities easily accept foreign students.
On the other hand, admissions to universities in Belgium require you to follow a well-defined process that we have divided into several steps to follow.
Here are the 8 steps to follow:
- Choose the Belgian university.
- Choose your study program or specialty.
- How to send an application for admission to the Belgian university.
- Apply for admission on the school’s website.
- Send the documents requested by the university.
- Take selection tests.
- Obtain admission to a Belgian university.
- Apply for a study permit.
NB: there are some differences between the registration formalities for universities in Belgium .
Please find more details on each of these admissions steps later in this article.
1. Choose the Belgian university
The universities in Belgium are among the best universities in the world.
Indeed, Belgium is one of the best countries most welcoming of foreign students.
Thus, the first step to follow is to choose the university in which you want to do your higher education.
Here are the articles that may interest you to choose a university in Belgium:
2. Choose your study program or specialty
Each university in Belgium has several dozen specialties.
Indeed, there are several study programs in all Belgian universities.
Here are some of the specialties in the universities of Belgium:
- Law and legal sciences.
- Business, Management and MBA.
- Physical and human sciences.
- Computer science.
- And, much more…
You can see for example:
- Top 5 Pharmacy Faculties in Belgium .
- The 3 best dental faculties in Belgium .
- And, the 5 best medical schools in Belgium .
3. How to send an application for admission to the Belgian university.
After having chosen your university in Belgium and your specialty and study program, it is now time to apply for admission to universities in Belgium.
In general, there are 3 ways to send an application for admission to a university in Belgium:
- The site of the Belgian university.
- The platform dedicated to the Belgian university.
- The email of the Belgian university.
4. Apply for admission on the institution’s website.
For option a and b, you must follow the following steps, the site or the platform of the public or private university in Belgian:
- First create your account.
- You must read and complete the forms carefully.
- Then, you must fill in all the fields requested when you apply for admission.
- Then, you must send your application for admission or pre-registration request.
- Finally, you must pay the file processing fee.
- Send the documents requested by the Belgian university.
For option c, you must send your application and the requested documents via your email.
You should note that processing times for the file can take from 1 to 6 weeks.
5. Send the documents requested by the university.
To validate your request for pre-registration or pre-admission to the Belgian university of your choice, it will ask you for a list of documents to complete your file.
In general, here are some documents requested by the Belgian university:
- Your diplomas whether it is the Baccalaureate, the license or the Master.
- Transcripts of your diplomas.
- Your student CV.
- A cover letter.
- A letter of recommendation.
- Proof of your language proficiency.
- And, other documents may be requested.
If you are eligible for a scholarship, you can apply for one.
6. Take selection tests
All Belgian and foreign students must go through the test stage with Belgian universities.
Indeed, you will have interviews by video conference or live with the administration of the Belgian university.
You must pass this step, a positive notification will be the subject of a letter of acceptance to a designated educational institution.
7. Obtain admission to a Belgian university.
Here we are.
- You have selected the Belgian universities.
- You have sent your applications to Belgian universities.
- And, you were initially selected among the student candidates.
- In addition, you have successfully passed your interview with the Belgian university.
Therefore, you are going to get admission to the Belgian university.
Remember, to finalize your admission into the Belgian university, you must pay the Belgian university fees .
After the payment of tuition fees , it can be said that you have passed all the admission requirements for the Belgian university.
8. Apply for a study permit.
Applying for a study permit for Belgium differs depending on your nationality.
Thus, you must contact the Belgian Embassy in your country for more information and the required documents.
This process can take up to 6 months.
Finally, after obtaining your study permit, you must register according to the procedures in force in your establishment.
We have seen together the steps to follow to apply for and have admission to one of the Belgian public or private universities .
In conclusion, applications for admission to Belgian universities must be submitted at least 3 to 12 months before the start of the course.
Certainly you must always respect the dates of registrations in Belgium .
However, some universities in Belgium allow foreign students to submit applications for admission throughout the year.
We always advise you to contact the Belgian university of your choice directly for more information.
So, do not hesitate to contact universities for more information.